What is tartar/ calculus?
Your teeth are prone to be covered with a sticky biofilm called plaque that may contribute to tooth decay and gum disease. Plaque is home to countless types of bacteria, which is built up following your meals or snacks. The plaque combines with sugar in your food consumed can release acids that cause tooth enamel to erode, eventually resulting in cavities. Plaque that is not easily removed through your daily oral hygiene, such as brushing and cleaning between teeth has a high chance of hardening into calculus or tartar. Calculus/ tartar is not only obstacle to your oral hygiene but also contribution to complaints like periodontal disease, tooth decay… Only periodic dental professional cleaning can deal with “stubborn” calculus/tartar .
How tartar does harm to your health
Once tartar hits, you should not ignore because it may cause big trouble to both your teeth and your general health. Tartar build-up in long term places unexpected impact on your health:
- Bad breath
- Activate the immune system chronically, which leads to irrelevant inflammation in the body. Long term inflammation causes premature aging and systemic disease.
- Direct harm to your gum: When tartar collects above the gum line, the gum tissue is so irritated that gets swollen and bleed easily. If left untreated, gum disease get worse, which affects to the structure of your mouth (alveolar bone loss) then results in tooth loss.
- Teeth do not look aesthetic
How to prevent tartar/ calculus build-up?
Practicing good dental hygiene like brushing your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste after every meal and flossing between your teeth with dental floss twice daily is good but not enough. Regular checkup with your dentist twice a year should be complied to completely prevent the calculus/tartar buildup
In addition, some other habit should be kept:
- Rinse mouth with antibacterial mouthwash or salt water
- Proper diet, avoid sticky or colored food.
- Drink more water instead of soft drink or soda
- Avoid smoking
- See your dentist for an examination and a professional cleaning regularly