If you have a toothache, it’s important to figure out what’s at the root of your discomfort. From there, you can determine how to best treat your disease, and simultaneously get rid of any pain, swelling, or other symptoms. Visit Minh Khai Dental Clinic immediately when you have any abnormal oral symptoms. After checkup and X-rays, the dentist will provide you with consultation on treatment options and discuss the best way to get back your oral health
1. Treat Tooth Decay
Tooth decay at first stage is not recognizable, and the appearance of the tooth may seem intact with unaided eyes. Procrastination on treating may make you pay a price because tooth decay is unable to self-repair, which means a minor problem can become severe dramatically. So if feeling of slight pain occurs, a careful checkup with your dentist is should be taken as soon as possible.
The deeper the tooth decay attacks, the worse the destruction is.
Treatment for tooth decay depends on stages of tooth decay:
- Early tooth decay on the enamel: High concentration of fluoride can be applied by a dentist to stop tooth decay.
- Tooth decay attacks the dentine: If cavity lesion is still small, a filling can be placed. If the cavity hole is relatively large and much of structure of the tooth is destroyed, a dental crown (onlay/inlay) may be cemented to replace the destructive part of the tooth.
Dentist tends to place filling in early tooth decay stage
- Tooth decay spreads into the pulp of your tooth- infection develops: This is the most severe case threatening to the tooth existence. Root canal treatment may be your last opportunity to preserve your tooth. If endodontic treatment fails to solve, tooth distraction is unavoidable
2. Treat Periodontal (Gum) Disease
Toothache may be associated with gum disease. The first noticeable symptom of gum disease accompanied with toothache is bleeding gum. This progressive disease is also the leading cause of tooth loss in adults. Main cause of gum disease is bacteria plaque so that prior to periodontal disease treatment, teeth scaling (professional cleaning) must be processed.
Stage and severity of the disease are decisive factor of treatment plan.
- If the disease is caught early (gingivitis stage), you may simply be given thorough instructions on maintaining your daily oral hygiene after having a professional cleaning at Minh Khai Dental Clinic
- In case of periodontal disease, conservative, nonsurgical treatment is needed – scaling and root planing. Main purpose of this method is to carefully remove all plaque buildup from the deepest of each periodontal pocket. The tooth’s root surfaces are then smoothed, allowing the gum tissue to heal and reattach to the tooth.
- If scaling and root planing fails to reattach the gum around the tooth root snugly, further surgery is a must.
- Advanced periodontitis: In this final stage, destroyed supporting structure of your teeth causes your teeth to shift or loosen. The worst-case scenario is when there is no treatment to reverse the state, your teeth may be removed.
3. Wisdom tooth growth
Wisdom teeth need to be removed if they are impacted causing damage to neighboring teeth. Removal of wisdom teeth may be recommended as part of treatment of dental care because patients are likely to face difficulty in cleaning areas around wisdom teeth. Wisdom teeth that are kept require proper cleaning in order to prevent tooth decay occurrence on wisdom teeth and neighboring molars.
Impacted wisdom teeth are extracted to prevent misalignment of neighboring teeth
Don’t forget to brush and floss around your wisdom teeth. In addition, regular visit to your dentist should be scheduled in order to allow your dentist to detect disease at early stage
Painkillers may be prescribed by the doctors to relieve pain when wisdom tooth growth bothers you.
4. Treat Cracked Tooth
The fact that tooth enamel is the hardest substance of human body does not indicate its “immortality”. The truth is teeth are still cracked, fractured or chipped due to some unexpected reasons. In addition, teeth cannot repair themselves. There is no doubt that cracked teeth must be treated before everything gets worse.
Similar to other disease, treatment of cracked tooth varies, depending on main cause, size, position of the fracture. Treatment plan for cracked tooth, in general, can be listed as:
- Minor crack can be repaired with filling material
- Old large filling causing crack can be replaced
Old filling causing crack in tooth can be replaced with new dental crown
- A dental crown can be placed on the tooth to protect it from further damage if not enough tooth structure remains. Root canal treatment might be indicated if the pulp is involved
- Extracting the tooth if it is severely cracked and cannot be saved